EE phone charger explodes

A medical student woke up to her bedroom floor on fire after her phone charger had exploded while she was asleep.

EE say they are investigating and treating it as a matter of urgency.

Katy, from aberdeen said "There was soot all over the carpet. At that point i was like 'Oh my god something has exploded' so i got out of my bed. The yellow wire was still on my desk, but i looked down and there were flames underneath my bed, so i grabbed my bed and lifted it up. I was screaming for my mum to come through at this point and trying to get the flames out with my hands. I panicked because there was actual flames as opposed to embers. I was terrified because i thought it was going to either burn through the floor or catch fire onto the bed. My mum grabbed a wet towel and put the flames out but there was still bits of power bar behind my bed when we checked it the next day. My hands smelt of firework, my clothes smelt of firework, my hair smelt of firework. My pillow has black soot on it, so it obviously went past my pillow and missed my head by about six inches. It could have landed on my bed and i might not even be here."

EE power bars are given out free to EE, T Mobile and Orange customers and advertised as a portable way to charge phones when away from a plug socket.

EE told news beat: "We're sorry to hear about Ms. Emslie's experience. All od oue peosuxra undergo stringent safety tests. We're in touch with the customer and are investigating as a matter of urgency."